The Leather Sack of the Universe

What? It's a Terry Pratchett thing.

Monday, November 10, 2008

For Julie, who I know comes by for the cute Noah stories:

There are glow in the dark stars on the ceiling of Noah's room. I haven't had time to put them up as proper constellations yet (what? He's only almost two years old. HOLY CROW. HE IS ALMOST TWO. Who the heck approved that?!!!!), but he does love looking at them. He is now at a point where the bedtime routine goes something like this:

Me: Noah, are you ready to go to bed?
Noah (as he walks down the hall toward his room): Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Me: You want to sit in the chair?
Noah (as he climbs into the chair): CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR! Door, mama.

Then he starts walking across the room. In the dark. And singing. It sounds something like this: "Winkle, winkle....star. Wonder....are."

Yes. He is singing Twinkle, twinkle little star. And it is adorable. The rest of the conversation goes like this, as I stumble across the room and try not to trip over the aforementioned adorable child.

Noah: Mama? Blankeck (translation: blanket), mik (translation:milk) please.
Me: Which song do you want, Noah?
Noah: Horsie!
Me: (Sings "All the Pretty Little Horses", thank you to Junior's Bedtime Songs for teaching me this one.) Do you want another one?
Noah (as he is drinking his milk): mmmmm!
Me: Do you want Lullaby?
Noah: MMMMMM! (That was a happy one, like 'Oh, Mama realized that I want the same song I have wanted for the last three weeks. Smart Mama. I'll get her trained yet.')
Me: (Sings Brahm's Lullaby. Thanks to Junior's Bedtime Songs again.)

Then I get him his pillow, lay him down, and leave him to fall asleep. I wish I could bottle the happy feeling that comes when he sings Winkle Winkle. No one would need anti-depressants! I don't think I could get it through the FDA, though.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:59 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    He can't be almost two. You were just pregnant last month. I veto your son's age.

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh wouldn't it be wonderful to bottle up the sweetness of a child. You would be a millionaire. I hold the memory of reading with Harley in my arms so close to my heart that I can't imagine what a blessing it is when it is your own baby boy. For a moment in time all is right with the world.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home