The Leather Sack of the Universe

What? It's a Terry Pratchett thing.

Friday, October 13, 2006

It's official. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

This is unfortunate, considering the fact that I'm 25 years old and two and a half months away from being a Mom.

When I was in first grade, I wanted to be a paleontologist. Seriously. The teacher went around the room asking us what we wanted to be, and I listened as my classmates said things like "Fireman!" "Doctor!" "Policeman!" "Trash collector!" (Don't laugh- those guys make good money.) And then there's me, the geek that says, "Paleontologist." First my teacher asked me to spell it, then she asked me what it was.

When I got older (roughly 3rd grade-senior year), I went back and forth between archaeologist and astronaut. I figured that I liked mummies and I liked space. Oh, for a real Stargate. My senior year, I wanted to go to Bryn Mawr and get my degree in Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology. Instead, I found out that Mom and Dad were getting a munchkin and so decided to stay home and go to OU. They theoretically have an archaeology department. Unfortunately, all 12 of the classes they have are about the Western hemisphere, and 10 of them are about North America. Apparently they overlooked the other half of the world.

So, here I sit with a degree in Political Science, a minor in Classical Culture, and a job where people yell at me for the dumb mistakes they made on their insurance. I have a second job as a youth minister's wife, and will soon be welcoming Noah into the world. Part of me wants to be a stay-at-home Mom, part of me realizes that we'd have to live on government cheese to do that, and part of me is afraid that if I stay at home I'll turn into one of those weirdly neurotic people that you hear about that are home with their kids so often that they forget how to hang out with grown-ups. Part of me also wants to go back to school and get a doctorate. Probably in Poli Sci, just so I can have letters behind my name and make students actually learn about that one thingee...you know...the Constitution.

No idea. Divine inspiration or at least a well-written memo would be nice at this point. I promise from now on to attempt to do less rambling, but I'm pregnant and I'm random and I'm bored. I'll probably just snark people in the news and make fun of election stuff. For the record: North Korea=crazy.

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

3 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM , Blogger Cornelius T. Fish said...

    My Mom wants me to be the first Irish Pope, but I don't think I could pass the Latin exam. As for me, I can't decide between rock star or cowboy. For what it's worth, I would recommend the doctorate. The more you learn the more you want to learn and constant curiosity is the fountain of youth.

     
  • At 10:19 PM , Blogger Norman said...

    Don't feel too bad. I'm older that you are...and I don't know either.

    However, I am leaning towards filthy, stinkin' rich.

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whom needs a doctorete? Me failed english? That's unpossible? And I'am fine!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home